SELECTION SYSTEM DESIGN/VALIDATION
What is it?
HRCatalyst develops selection systems to screen multiple candidates and identify
those who are most likely to succeed in a target position. We also conduct
a validation study for all of our selection systems to ensure practicality,
utility, and legality. This process utilizes proven, scientific principles
and standards of industrial psychology to assess and select higher performing
candidates, boosting both productivity and retention of employees.
How does it work?
HRCatalyst first conducts a job analysis to identify the key competencies
necessary for success in the target role. We create or select a selection
instrument (or battery of instruments) to evaluate the extent to which candidates
are likely to demonstrate these competencies on the job. We then conduct a
validation study to confirm that performance on the selection instrument is
linked to performance on the job. This process results in a reliable, valid,
and legal approach to identifying high potential candidates.
Does my organization need Selection System Design and Validation?
Many companies use Selection System Design and Validation in the following situations:
- Hiring multiple incumbents
- Improving retention
- Improving performance of incumbents in a specific position
- To upgrade overall bench strength in a position
What are the benefits of Selection System Design and Validation?
- Select the right candidates for target positions
- Reduce the cost of turnover from hiring mistakes
- Minimize the amount of bad hires that stay in the job with mediocre results
- Streamline your current selection process to save time and resources
- Comply with legal requirements regarding employee selection practices
What are the steps for Selection System Design and Validation?
- HRCatalyst conducts a job analysis of the target position. This analysis defines the key knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for success in the position.
- HRCatalyst works with the client to determine the appropriate outcome variables (e.g., performance measures) to assess selection system validity.
- HRCatalyst selects and/or develops selection tool(s) that measure the competencies identified in step one. This may include off the shelf selection instruments, or custom-made instruments, such as work sample tests.
- HRCatalyst validates the instrument(s) by evaluating the relationship between performance on the selection tool(s) and performance on the job. Other factors, such as face validity, administration time, and data tracking/storage are evaluated and adjusted to meet the specific needs of the organization.
- HRCatalyst works with the organization to implement the new selection process.
- A follow-up validation study is conducted once enough candidates have been selected using the instrument. This is done to further validate the utility and legality of the new process.